The other day I made myself an Ikat Washi dress (no, I haven’t blogged about it yet, but I promise to get around to it… eventually). Phoebe loved it so much she asked me if I could make one for her. Usually the answer is no (adult patterns are not child-sized, natch) but in this case I could. That Rae is a super genius!
We have a tradition of late of the girls getting first-day-of-school dresses made by me. Most of the time I try to pick out the fabric, but this year I let them do it. Yep, it happened. I actually happen to like what they chose (gasp!) and I was excited to make them some Geranium dresses.
I sewed these assembly-line style and they went… medium fast. The dresses have a lined bodice with back button closure, pleats on the front and back, and pockets (pockets oh yessss). I used snaps on the back instead of buttons. I did the faux cap sleeves and scoop neck (no cutout) so it looked more like the Washi I made for myself. I originally bought 5 yards of material (I figured 2.5 yards for each dress) and I have a good 2 yards left over. So Thea will get a Geranium dress too, and they’ll be matchy x3. IKNORITE.
I sewed a size 6 for the middles and they fit perfectly, the length was good, but I figured some leggings wouldn’t hurt. I had snatched up this silver dot jersey from Girl Charlee (it has these metallic silver pin dots that are raised up from the fabric - no longer available or I’d link to it) and I knew it would make fantastic leggings. I searched around for a pattern and came upon the Go To Leggings pattern by Go to Patterns, and since it was a PDF download (my fave!) I had instant gratification and could get their leggings knocked out super fast.
It took longer to print, tape, and trace the pattern than it did to sew the leggings. They went together lightning fast, like, no lie. I was amazed. There are lines to make shorts, capris, or full length leggings, and all sorts of fancy embellishments. I just wanted some plain jane standard leggings, but I love how many options come with the pattern, and that there’s a huge range of sizes so we can use it for awhile.
Sewed up the leggings on my serger (I used white thread, shh, don’t tell) and zigzagged the elastic onto the waist. I hemmed the bottoms by about a half inch using a zigzag stitch on my sewing machine, and done! Not pictured: I made a matching pair for Thea so she doesn’t feel left out. Srsly I’m going to be making leggings for days now. I’m addicted. They fit so well and Charlie wore them to gymnastics so that’s the real test of whether they’ll hold up or not.
Fancy first day of school outfits, yey!